By Chris EvansThe ABC’s Dr Peter Kelly reports from the Egyptian capital Cairo on the deadly attack on a police station.
The incident has raised concerns that Islamic extremists have been exploiting fears of an impending crackdown to justify attacks.
In a statement, the Egyptian Interior Ministry said it was “deeply concerned” about the attack and was investigating the attack.
“The ministry is coordinating with the Federal Investigation Service to take action against those who instigated this crime,” the statement said.
It said security forces would work together to identify and arrest those involved.
The attack was the worst assault on Egyptian security forces in nearly a decade.
Egyptian officials have said it appeared to be a “planned attack” and the perpetrators were known to security agencies.
The attackers were armed with automatic rifles and hand grenades.
The attacks have raised concerns among Egypt’s citizens about security.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which comes just days after Egypt’s president said he had ordered a review of security measures in the country following last month’s killing of a police officer.
Security forces are battling a growing insurgency, with a number of Islamist militant groups operating in the Sinai Peninsula.
In the past year, militants have launched attacks in Egypt’s largest cities and on major roads in the north and west of the country.
Last week, security forces killed an al-Qaeda leader who was believed to be the leader of the group in the desert region of the Sinai.
ABC/wiresTopics:terrorism,disasters-and-accidents,world-politics,government-and/or-politics-andu-s-government,islamic-territories,foreign-affairs,foreign—policy,worldwide,worldnews,egypt,cairo-1801,united-states,afghanistanFirst posted March 18, 2020 06:13:03Contact James GormanMore stories from New South Wales